Posted by Cheryl Moore on 8/12/2020 9:00:00 AM
Welcome back … almost!
As we get closer to the start of the 2020 school year, and as you are reading this, I hope that you and your family are staying safe. It is so important to all of us that our Brook Family and Community do all that we can to keep our families and community healthy.
This spring proved to show the determination and grit within our students, families, and staff. Our parents stayed in contact with teachers and our students completed work. On May 22, over 80% of our students showed for our All in One Field Day, Awards Ceremony, AR Store, and End of Year pick up. It wasn’t how we had planned but we did want our students to remember/ participate in a modified “end of the year event.” Thank you!
As of August 11, 92.18% of our Brook students have registered. With sincere thanks, I want each parent to know what a challenge we put before you (online registration) but you persevered, exceeded our expectations, and completed the registration process…all paper free! I am so proud of each of you and THANK YOU! Brook is only one of two schools with over 90% of students registered at this time. THANK YOU and Way to go, Brook Parents!
Moving forward to 2020-21 we will continue to push forward and overcome any challenges that come our way…
For now, and when school starts, we need help from parents:
- Complete the choice for at-home learning or in school learning by August 25. Unless a child becomes sick and has to switch from in school learning to at-home learning, changes can only be made at the end of each six weeks. The district calendar for the year is posted on the Waco ISD website. Any changes after August 25 cannot be made until around October 9 so choose carefully.
- If you choose At Home learning attendance will be very different from Spring 2020. Students must log in EVERY Day with their teacher and they must complete and submit work EVERY DAY. Failure to do so will result in a documented absence. Truancy laws are still in effect...meaning that students cannot be absent more than 3 days a six weeks.
- If a child/ family gets sick or has to quarantine, we will be prepared to move them immediately to at-home learning so that students are not counted absent.
- Call the teacher or administrator if something doesn’t look or sound right or if you need help. If we don’t know about a problem, we can’t help solve it.
- Adrian Decker has joined our Brook team as our Assistant Principal. You will see her every day in the car dismissal line. Ms. Decker was previously the asst principal at JH Hines.
- Plans for Meet the Teacher are still in the works. Stay posted for info on this and on device pick up for at-home learning.
- First day of school is Tuesday, September 8
WE GOT THIS, BROOK AVENUE!