parent organization guidelines
Creating a New Organization
- Questions to Answer Before You Commit
- Creating Your Own Identity Overview
- Life Cycle of a Public Charity
- Incorporation of a Non-Profit Organization
Following the Rules
- Authoritative Guidelines Overview
- District Board Policy GE (Local)
- University Interscholastic League (UIL) Booster Club Guidelines
- UIL Brochure
- State Regulatory Information
- Federal Regulatory Information
Taking Care of Business
- Taking Care of Business: Overview
- Financial Report Information & Formats
- Review Report Information & Formats
- Accounting Procedures
- Bank Accounts
- Receiving Contributions / Donations
- Giving Contributions/Donations
- Facilities Use/Rental
- Financial Aid Guidelines
- Fund-Raising for Individuals or Families
- Mailing Address
- Membership Dues
- Money Handling Procedures
- Paying and Reporting of Workers (District Employees or Others)
- Project Prom Incentives
- Record Retention
- Sales Tax
- Student Fines and Fees List
- Treasurer's Report
Parent Organizations should set up a bank account with the Parent Organization's EIN number. A person's social security number or the District's EIN number cannot be used to set up a bank account.
District employees may serve parent organizations as a general member or in an advisory capacity and should not have control or signature authority over the parent organization's funds, including petty cash or miscellaneous discretionary funds. District employees SHALL NOT serve as the Treasurer, fundraising chairperson, nor serve in a capacity over the organization's financial affairs, including an authorized signer on the Parent Organization's bank account(s).
- A District substitute or temporary worker may be a Treasurer or authorized signer on the bank account of a parent organization with written approval from the superintendent. Please see Request for BROKEN LINK!!! Authorization for a WISD Employee to be a Treasurer or Signer on Parent Organization Bank Account(s). This approval must be requested and received each school year. A copy of the written approval must also be sent to the Department of Internal & Systems Control.
- Exception through school year 2014-2015 only: A District employee may be a Treasurer or authorized signer on the bank account of a PTA with written approval from the superintendent. Note that this exception applies to PTAs only and does not apply to any other parent organization. Also, no principal, secretary, coach, director of a UIL activity, or designated facility sponsor who serves as a liaison between the parent group and the district shall be approved as a Treasurer and/or signer on the bank account of the PTA.
Please note: This exception applies only to PTAs and does not apply to other parent organizations. Also, the use of this exception is not encouraged. It is highly recommended that the PTA strive to involve parents and have them serve in this capacity.
These approvals are only good through August 31st of the school year or when the employee is no longer the treasurer or authorized signer whichever is earlier. Consequently, a new authorization form would need to be completed every school year. A copy of the written approval must be sent to the District's Internal & Systems Control. Please see Request for BROKEN LINK!!! Authorization for a WISD Employee to be a Treasurer or Signer on Parent Organization Bank Account(s).
- At least two authorized signatures must be required for each check written to assist in establishing good internal controls over check disbursements. The bank account(s) should have at least three authorized signers to allow at least one back-up signer if one of the regular signers is not available.
- Bank account(s) should be reconciled monthly.