2022-2023 Dress and Grooming (All Grade Levels)
Prior to the 2020-2021 school year, the Waco ISD school board adopted a new Student Handbook and Code of Conduct that eliminated the “standard mode of dress.” Students will not be required to wear khakis and a collared shirt. Instead, the student and parents may determine personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the general guidelines on the student dress code outlined in the student handbook.
Updates to the specific standards for General Dress and Grooming Code for all District students are as follows:
- Articles of clothing with pictures, emblems, or writings that are lewd, offensive, vulgar, or obscene, or advertise or depict tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, or any other substance prohibited under Board Policy FNCA (Local) are not allowed.
- Students must wear shoes. No beach-style flip-flops or house shoes will be allowed.
- Hats, caps, and hoods may not be worn inside the school building during the school day. These items may be worn at other school-sponsored events as determined appropriate by the principal or designee.
- Hair must be neat and well-groomed. Hair must not be tied up in a bandana or covered by a hat, a hood, a cap, a doo rag, or a visor.
- Sunglasses, or other glasses not required for vision correction, may not be worn inside the building.
- Longer athletic/gym-style shorts may be worn.
- Undergarments must be appropriately covered by a student’s clothing.
- Pierced earrings may be worn on the ear(s) only. All other body-piercing jewelry is prohibited.
- Tattoos or fake tattoos are allowed if they are not lewd, offensive, vulgar, or obscene, or advertise or depict tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, or any other substance prohibited under Board Policy FNCA (Local).
- “Grillz” or temporary decorations on teeth are not to be worn.
- An inappropriate appearance will not be allowed. Clothes should fit and be worn appropriately. Pants are to be worn at the waist and with a belt (if the pants have belt loops), and shirts buttoned. All shirts must be tucked in pants and/or skirts if they extend beyond the end of the student’s fingertips. Cardigan sweaters, pullover sweaters, and sweatshirts may be worn outside of pants and skirts. No sagging pants or oversized clothes are permitted. Underwear-type shirts such as tank tops or muscle shirts are not acceptable and may only be worn with t-shirts under them. The decision on whether a style is appropriate will be at the discretion of the principal or his/her designee.
Female Dress and Grooming Code:
- Females will not wear halters, tank tops that expose any part of the midriff, low-cut dresses/tops, short shorts, or excessively tight clothing. The neck opening on any type of dress, shirt, or blouse may not exceed the equivalent of the second button below the collar.
- Hair rollers must not be worn.
- Females must wear brassieres or appropriate undergarments.
- Skirts, dresses, and shorts must extend beyond the end of the student’s fingertips when standing.
Male Dress and Grooming Code:
- Males must wear shirts with sleeves. The neck opening on any type of shirt may not exceed the equivalent of the second button below the collar.
- Mustaches and beards shall be acceptable if neatly trimmed.
Read the full Student Handbook and Student Code of Conduct