U.I.L. One-Act Play Contest
U.I.L. One-Act Play Contest - visit the website
The Waco I.S.D. encourages education and academic growth through the competition of the University Interscholastic League One-Act Play contest. Students in the WISD currently audition and compete for roles in a select show chosen by their individual home campus. These UIL "OAP's" meet in a format similar to athletics, by UIL Conference (AAAAA and AAAAAA) and compete to be selected by professional judges to advance to higher levels of competition. They begin at District in March of the competition year and out of the hundreds of AAAAA and AAAAAA schools in the state, only the final eight make it to the UIL One-Act Play State Meet.
For more information regarding the UIL OAP Contest, you may click the "U.I.L. One-Act Play Contest" link above.
Most all schools have a visual arts course or multiple courses and an art club.
Elementary Schools participate in Texas Elementary Art Meet (T.E.A.M.)
Middle Schools participate in Jr. Visual Arts Scholastic Event (Jr. V.A.S.E.)
High Schools participate in Visual Arts Scholastic Event (V.A.S.E.) and Advanced Placement Visual Arts
WISD fifth graders participate in an annual Children's Music Festival
According to which campus your student attends, students in WISD begin music instruction either at Pre-K or Kindergarten. At the elementary level, children explore vocal and instrumental music, learn rhythms, and how to read notes. Students explore world culture through storytelling, movement, song, and technology. Students also create and participate in performances throughout the year.
Our students also learn the following in our elementary music program:
Music reading and musicianship
Responsibility to self and others
How their personal choices in music compares and contrasts to the world around them
How music is necessary and enriching to their lives
How music builds confidence and knowledge across the core curriculum
Waco ISD provides for rich experiences that introduce students to many types of music.
Grade 2 – Selected performances yearly.
Grade 3 – Children's Jazz Festival at Jones Hall.
Grades 4 and 5 – Children's Symphony at Waco Hall.
Grade 5 – WISD Children's Choral Festival.
There are also special performing groups and events at several Waco ISD campuses.
Dean Highland Elementary – Orchestra Club
Lake Waco Montessori – Show Choir
Hillcrest PDS – Showtime Musical
West Ave - Handbells
Contact the Office of Fine Arts for more information about these groups and events.
Waco ISD is home to few specialty programs that earned recognition at the state and national levels.
* University High School is home of the Mariachi Troyanos and Jazz Band, - highly sought after groups for a variety of events in our local community.
* Waco High School maintains the Jazz Band and Winter Guard in addition to their traditional programs, teaching students to play diverse styles of music and learn musical improvisation and perform multiple guard routines.
* Both High Schools are re-introducing the Steel Drums ensembles.
Theatre and Performance
Waco ISD students may explore the world of theatre in various ways year round, or through the course of the curriculum where theatre arts is offered.
- UIL One Act Play Contest - part of the spring UIL academic meet
- State Theatrical Design Contest
- WISD Summer Theatre Program
- Educational experiences with Baylor, MCC, and other community performances
- Opportunities to work events at either the WHS or UHS Performing Arts Centers
- Play productions through their campus based program
- Middle School One-Act Play Contest - part of the spring UIL academic meet
Waco High School is well-known for its Show Choir. A community favorite, you will see this award-winning group performing at numerous venues throughout the city.
University High School has Vivace! Show Choir who maintain a repertoire of traditional an pop songs and perform at various events around the community.