Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act
What is it?
C. O. B. R. A. (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) is a federally mandated, employer sponsored and administered health care plan for covered employees and dependents that lose their group health insurance coverage due to a qualifying event. If you are (or become) insured under the Waco I. S. D. group health plan, you and your dependents may be eligible for continuation of coverage if you lose coverage due to any of these qualifying events:
- Voluntary Termination (resignation or retirement)
- Involuntary Termination (termination or layoff)
- Reduction of Hours (due to long term illness or other situations resulting in total loss of pay and or exhaustion of FMLA) Refer to Waco ISD Policy CRD (Local)
- Death of the Employee
- Employee's Medicare Entitlement
- Divorce or Legal Separation
- A Dependent Child Ceasing to be a Dependent
- The Bankruptcy of the Employer
It is your responsibility to notify the Benefits Office when you or your covered dependents have a qualifying event. In the case of an event occurring, you will receive a qualifying event notice regarding your options and responsibilities under COBRA. Members who elect COBRA are responsible for the full premium amount plus an additional two percent administration fee.
Effective January 1, 2018, Waco ISD's COBRA administration will be outsourced to First Financial. Employees and qualified beneficiaries who wish to continue insurance coverage via COBRA may contact First Financial by calling 1-800-654-8489.
For more information regarding continuation of health insurance through COBRA, please call 755-9522.