Saturday Diversion Course
Purpose of Program:
Through the Waco ISD administrative office of Student Management, our goal is: to incorporate restorative discipline with the Saturday Diversion Course to assist in reducing the number of referrals to the Waco ISD DAEP, student out of school suspensions, and modify student behaviors.
This Diversion Course may be used:
- by administrators as an option in place of suspension or placement at the DAEP,
- by PCL's as alternative to Truancy Court
- by judges as a sentencing alternative to increase the likelihood of students staying out of the juvenile justice system.
The Diversion Course is intended as a Diversion away from court, entering the Juvenile Justice System, paying court fines of $500 or more, or having to leave work for court hearings or deferred disposition, etc. Information learned during the Diversion Course equips participating students and parents/guardians with the necessary skills to communicate more effectively and build more supportive relationships with one another.
- Students will learn pro-social alternatives to their current behaviors and understand the long-term consequences of continued school disruptions and/or truancies.
- Parents will learn strategies for supporting their children and learn to meet their developmental needs in healthy and pro-social ways, based on trust and mutual respect.
A Cohort group of students and parents will attend a Saturday Google Meet session of 7 contact hours.
Students and the same Parent/Guardian must stay the entire session participating, on camera and in clear view.
- An internet link for Google Meet be sent via email to the parent and/or to the student's Waco ISD email. You will need to download the Google app in order to participate. Utilize your student's device or personal device.
- Certificate will be provided electronically upon completion of course for proof of attendance.
SEPT 24th cohort 1 JAN 7th cohort 7 MAY 13th cohort 13 OCT 15th cohort 2 JAN 21st cohort 8 MAY 20th cohort 14 OCT 29th cohort 3 FEB 11th cohort 9 JUN TBD cohort 15 NOV 12th cohort 4 MAR 18th cohort 10 JUL TBD cohort16 DEC 3rd cohort 5 APR 15th cohort 11 APR 29th cohort 12
Times: 8:30 am - 3:30 (participants must stay online for the entire virtual course, on camera and in clear view, in order to receive credit)
A Cohort group of students and their Parent(s)/Guardian(s) will attend a Saturday course.
Over the Saturday course, students will learn strategies to communicate more effectively with others, understand impulse control and anger management, and practice skills needed to make better choices in stressful, high-pressure situations. They will also identify their post-secondary interests and strengths and understand how to achieve their career path goals. Elementary students will be engaged with restorative discipline practices, conscious discipline techniques, along with communication and interaction skills developed for proper classroom behavior. While the students are learning, their Parent(s)/ Guardian(s) will be presented information about adolescent development; gain skills in communicating, problem solving, and discipline; and have time to discuss ideas with other parents and gain support.
Angelica Serrano Alfonso Saldaña
Administrative Asst. Coordinator of Student Management
Waco Independent School District 501 Franklin Avenue ● Waco TX 76701 254-755-9432