Saturday Diversion Course
Purpose of Program:
Through the Waco ISD partnership with the Criminal Justice Division – Office of the Governor, our goal is: to reduce the number of school citations and the number of referrals to the Waco ISD DAEP.
This Diversion Course may be used:
- by administrators as an option to suspension or placement at the DAEP,
- by SRO’s as an alternative to citations, and
- by judges as a sentencing alternative to increase the likelihood of students staying out of the juvenile justice system.
The Diversion Course is intended as a Diversion away from court, entering the Juvenile Justice System, paying court fines of $500 or more, or having to leave work for court hearings or deferred disposition, etc. Information learned during the Diversion Course equips participating students and parents/guardians with the necessary skills to communicate more effectively and build more supportive relationships with one another.
- Students will learn pro-social alternatives to their current behaviors and understand the long-term consequences of continued school disruptions and/or truancies.
- Parents will learn strategies for supporting their children and learn to meet their developmental needs in healthy and pro-social ways, based on trust and mutual respect.
A Cohort group of students and parents will attend a Saturday session of 7 contact hours.
Students and the same Parent/Guardian must stay the entire session and attend both sessions
- Students attend one track, Parent/Guardians attend a parallel track
- The certificate will be provided upon completion of the course for proof of attendance
- Attendance in Diversion Class does NOT count for “Saturday School” to regain credits
OCT 17th cohort 1 MAR 20th cohort 7 NOV 14th cohort 2 APR 10th cohort 8 DEC 5th cohort 3 24th cohort 9 JAN 23rd cohort 4 MAY 8th cohort 10 FEB 6th cohort 5 22nd cohort 11 20th cohort 6 TBD cohort 12
Location: WISD Administration Building: 501 Franklin Ave, 1st Floor Conference Center
Times: 8:30 am - 3:30 participants must stay the entire session to receive
light lunch & snacks provided
A Cohort group of students and the same parent/guardian will attend a Saturday session. The Diversion Course will have two parallel tracks: one for students and one for parents, with qualified trainers for each track.
Over the Saturday course, students will learn strategies to communicate more effectively with others, understand impulse control and anger management, and practice skills needed to make better choices in stressful, high-pressure situations. They will also identify their post-secondary interests and strengths and understand how to achieve their career path goals. Elementary students will be engaged with restorative discipline practices, conscious discipline techniques, along with communication and interaction skills developed for proper classroom behavior. While the students are learning, their Parent(s)/ Guardian(s) will be presented information about adolescent development; gain skills in communicating, problem solving, and discipline; and have time to discuss ideas with other parents and gain support.
A resource guide will be available to help parents find and access resources to meet the needs they identify through the course.
Angelica Serrano Alfonso Saldaña
Administrative Asst. Coordinator of Student Management
Waco Independent School District 501 Franklin Avenue ● Waco TX 76701 254-755-9432