As part of the teacher preparation partnership with Texas Tech and Tarleton State University, Waco ISD will be participating in the Opportunity Culture initiative. We hope that the Opportunity Culture model will help retain our best teachers by offering them new opportunities to grow as educational leaders and better prepare the new teachers who will follow them in the classroom.
This innovative approach to staffing provides an opportunity for our most talented teachers to reach more students for more pay. Bringing Opportunity Culture to Waco ISD is a result of partnerships with Public Impact, US PREP, Waco ISD, Prosper Waco and financial support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The Five Design Principles of Opportunity Culture:
- Reach more students with excellent teachers and their teams.
- Pay teachers more for extending their reach.
- Fund pay within regular budgets.
- Provide protected in-school time and clarity about how to use it for planning, collaboration
- Match authority and accountability to each person’s responsibilities.
2021-2022 Cohort 1 Schools
- Crestview Elementary School
- Dean Highland Elementary School
- Kendrick Elementary School
- Parkdale Elementary School
- Provident Heights Elementary School
2023-2024 Cohort 2 Schools
- Cesar Chavez Middle School
- Lake Air Montessori Magnet School
- Moutainview Elementary School
- South Waco Elementary School
- West Avenue Elementary School
Opportunity Culture requires teachers who…
- Believe that all students can achieve their full potential, learn at high levels, and graduate prepared to succeed in school, career, and life
- Imagine schools where you can improve your teaching, year after year
- Wish for schools where teachers are valued professionals
- Dream of having the opportunity to earn a higher salary
- Hope to achieve excellence, help more students, and develop peers while teaching
- Aspire to be a teacher-leader who is empowered to make decisions in the best interest of your students and take responsibility for student learning
Part 1—Why Opportunity Culture?
What barriers keep teachers and students from experiencing great support and strong learning outcomes? This brief video highlights some of the barriers that an Opportunity Culture can remove.
Part 2—Here’s How:
Part 2 of this two-part video details how an Opportunity Culture provides on-the-job, consistent support for all teachers to reach many more students with excellence, learn more, and earn more—by having great teachers lead teams or reach more students directly, with more school-day collaboration and planning time.