Dyslexia & 504
Waco ISD is committed to meeting the needs of students served under Section 504, including Dyslexia intervention services. Dyslexia and dysgraphia students who have chosen remote instruction will be provided multi-sensory instruction using the MTA dyslexia program. Instruction and support will be provided to students in the following ways:
- Instruction will be provided through the Seesaw (elementary) or Canvas (secondary) LMS.
- Students will be provided a specific schedule to meet with a dyslexia specialist for synchronous remote instruction.
- The Dyslexia specialist will contact the student's parent or guardian during the week of September 8 - September 11, 2020, to communicate the schedule for dyslexia sessions.
- The student’s home campus will provide technology to access remote dyslexia instruction.
- Students will receive home packets that correlate to the MTA lessons/kits and support instruction. Students will be able to pick up their lesson kit from the dyslexia specialists at their home campus.
Virtual Section 504/ARD committees will meet before the tenth day of school to review and amend the student’s current plan and services to align with the choice of attending school through remote asynchronous instruction. Any adjustments made to a student’s plan will not compromise the fidelity of the program. Campus coordinators will contact parents with meeting dates. Progress monitoring and other communication forms will be mailed to the student's home address by the dyslexia specialist who will plan and provide instruction.
A standard protocol dyslexia program must be explicit, systematic, and intentional in its approach; therefore, students must attend synchronous dyslexia sessions as scheduled. Failing to do so may result in a student's lack of progress or growth in the dyslexia program.