Cleaning & Disinfecting Procedures
All athletic facilities in Waco ISD are disinfected using hospital grade disinfectants.
- Equipment will be disinfected between groups of students.
- Indoor facilities/weight rooms/locker rooms will be disinfected each day.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided in multiple locations around the athletic facilities. Athletes will be encouraged to use hand sanitizer or wash their hands when arriving, when transitioning to other areas/stations, before eating and before leaving.
Food and water:
- Food and water will not be shared between athletes.
- Water bottle filling stations have been installed in all Waco ISD facilities. When using coolers or cows to refill bottles, an adult will be present to ensure cross contamination is not occurring between athletes.
- Athletes are asked to bring their own water bottle each day.
- Face Masks will be worn by coaches and athletes at all times when not actively engaging in strenuous exercise. Athletes are encouraged to wear masks at all times, but if the athlete needs to remove the mask during activity to maintain safe oxygen exchange, they should attempt to distance more than 6 feet from other athletes and coaches.
- Face masks should be worn any time athletes are arriving/leaving practice, anytime 6 feet of distance cannot be maintained between themselves and others, when transitioning to stations/areas of practice, waiting in line, and when spotting in the weight room.
- If the athletes forgets their mask at home, one will be provided for them. However, we do ask that athletes make every attempt possible to bring their mask daily.
- If an athlete’s mask becomes wet, they should ask for another mask.
Games, scrimmages and competitions:
- During games/scrimmages/competitions, Waco ISD will follow all CDC, UIL and TEA guidance regarding social distancing, mask wearing and screening of participants and visitors, disinfecting practices and overall good hygiene to decrease the spread of COVID-19.
Daily screenings of athletes and coaches:
- All coaches and athletes will be screened for symptoms of COVID-19 at the beginning of the school day/practice (whichever comes first). Anyone showing symptoms or who has a temperature over 100.0 will not be allowed to practice and will immediately leave the premises.
- Symptoms of COVID-19 include; fever, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, headache, sore throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, congested or runny nose, fatigue, and muscle pain.
Response to a positive case:
- If an athlete or coach is exposed to COVID-19, they must immediately report that to the head coach and quarantine for 14 days from their last close contact exposure with the person that tested positive. Close contact is defined as; being within 6 feet for more than 15 cumulative minutes with or without a mask of a person who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- If an athlete or coach tests positive for COVID-19:
- Parents should notify their child’s school immediately if the student tests positive for COVID-19. All athletes and coaches who have been within six feet for more than fifteen cumulative minutes of the individual who tested positive will be quarantined for 14 days from their last exposure to that person.
- During the 14-day quarantine period, athletes may continue to participate in workouts virtually if their health allows.
- If an athlete develops symptoms during the quarantine period, they should let their coach know and contact their primary care provider for further instructions.
- If an athlete tests positive for COVID-19 before an upcoming game/scrimmage/competition, we will notify the opposing team of the situation. We will ensure the opposing team that we have quarantined all close contacts and we ask our counterparts in other districts to do the same.
- Waco ISD Health Services Department and the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District work together to collect information regarding close contacts and determine which students and coaches will quarantine based on the contact tracing investigation.
- If an athlete cannot be definitely excluded from close contact, they may be quarantined based on guidance from the health district. Each case will be investigated and outcomes determined on an individual basis.
Returning to practice:
When an athlete tests positive for COVID-19, they must meet the following criteria to return to practice:
- At least 10 days has passed since symptoms began AND
- 24 hours fever free without the use of fever reducing medication AND
- Symptoms improved
- Medical release from a doctor per UIL